Wednesday 5 March 2008

Autumn Leaf Practice Block

I have made a practice block for my autumn quilt just to make sure my templates all fit together. I've never sewn triangles before, so I wanted to have a go at that as well. It turned out well, except that I think I'll iron every time I sew to make sure the seams are flat when they're sewn together. I also made up the applique for the stem, since I have no idea how to do applique! I'm going to have to research that on the internet before I attempt it on my quilt. I cut all the pieces from the same fabric so it's actually really hard to see the leaf design, I had to tape it to a window to take a photo of the outline. Because I'm so new to quilting I don't have a stash of spare fabric or scraps, and so I had to use the one fat quarter that I didn't want to put in the quilt. The blue bits on the fabric are the cat footprints that wouldn't wash out.




4 comments:

Emma said...

There are 2 schools of thought on pressing; I believe in pressing each seam as it's sewn. It makes sewing the next one easier and more accurate. It also forces a break from the machine (which can be a good or a bad thing!) and gives you some exercise walking between machine and iron!

AJ said...

Great idea with the window....your seams look good!!

Tooki said...

I stumbled on your blog looking for an Autumn Leaf block pattern! I am a (rather amateur really!) quilter in Auckland, NZ, who also does a lot of other crafty stuff - yes, lots for school fairs etc! Here is another blog you might like: http://osewblessed.blogspot.com/2008/01/in-beginning-to-beginning.html
Donna is a friend through an international quilting group inspired by the writings of Diana Gabaldon, the Lallyquilters. Nice to meet you Louise!
Tooki

Louise said...

Hi Tooki, thanks for your comment :) I tried to go to your blog by clicking on your name, but your profile is private so I couldn't see it. If you read this again I'd love to visit your blog :)