Saturday 23 August 2008

WIP - pincushion

All my pincushions are far too small to be really useful - I usually end up using lots and lots of pins so that my seams turn out really straight and the little ones I get in Woolworths etc just can't keep up. So last weekend I bought a nice pile of felt and a box of assorted buttons from Woolies and I've been sewing up a nice big square pincushion for myself. This is the first time I've sewn with felt and I've discovered a few things.

1. Felt comes in some really beautiful colours that in themselves are very inspiring.
2. Sewing with felt is great because you don't have to worry about unravelling edges etc.
3. Designing with felt is great because all the little pieces stick onto each other and don't need pinning. Although, see point 4:
4. I have rougher hands than I realised - all the little pieces preferred to snag on my hands instead of staying on the fabric.
5. I really suck at blanket stitch!



When I've finished this pincushion, I'm going to make another one - it was really fun moving all the pieces around to find a design I liked. And it's one craft that is really quite cheap, so that should keep my husband happy :) (Although he's a bit like, "you're making what now?")

No comments: